From Ben's Writing
- Haptics — Haptic means pertaining to the sense of touch.
- AskTog Home Page — Interaction Design Solutions for the Real World.
- Professor Gets Mad At Cell Phone
- The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich A. Hayek — This one is more frightening than funny.
- Rational thoughts from a religious skeptic. — Mark Twain
- MetaPost — MetaPost is a powerful graphics language based on Knuth's METAFONT, but with PostScript output and facilities for including typeset text.
- The beauty of LaTeX — A short essay on why we should prefer LaTeX to WYSIWYG word processors.
- The Code Project — Your place for x (where x grwos dayly) free Visual Studio and .NET articles, code snippets, discussions, news and the best bunch of developers on the net.
- CodeGuru — CodeGuru is about code. CodeGuru is about Gurus. CodeGuru is about so much more!
- D Programming Language — "D is a systems programming language. Its focus is on combining the power and high performance of C and C++ with the programmer productivity of modern languages like Ruby and Python. Special attention is given to the needs of quality assurance, documentation, management, portability and reliability."
- F# — "Combining the efficiency, scripting, strong typing and productivity of ML with the stability, libraries, cross-language working and tools of .NET."
- Regular Expression Matching Can Be Simple And Fast
- Regular Expression Matching: the Virtual Machine Approach
- Detours — "Detours is a library for instrumenting arbitrary Win32 functions on x86, x64, and IA64 machines. Detours intercepts Win32 functions by re-writing the in-memory code for target functions. The Detours package also contains utilities to attach arbitrary DLLs and data segments (called payloads) to any Win32 binary."
- sigslot — C++ Signal/Slot Library,
- CMake — "CMake is a family of tools designed to build, test and package software. CMake is used to control the software compilation process using simple platform and compiler independent configuration files."
- Git Guide — "This page ... document[s] git usage making use of newer concepts introduced in git [version X]."
- A tour of git — Just "the basics".
- CVS — "Concurrent Versions System"
- Fossil — "Distributed Revision Control, Wiki, and Bug-Tracking."
- OllyDbg — "OllyDbg is a 32-bit assembler level analysing debugger for Microsoft Windows. Emphasis on binary code analysis makes it particularly useful in cases where source is unavailable."
- Microsoft's Debugging Tools for Windows — "You can use Debugging Tools for Windows to debug drivers, applications, and services on systems that are running Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2008."
- Emacs is better than Visual Studio as a C# Development Tool?!!
- Making Emacs Stand Up To Visual Studio 7
- Emacs/Visual Studio installation notes
Best Practices (For some definition of "best")
- The Anatomy of the Assignment Operator — a great, as well as detailed, discussion on the C++ assignment operator.
- MediaWiki — "MediaWiki is a free software wiki package originally written for Wikipedia. It is now used by several other projects of the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation and by many other wikis, including this website, the home of MediaWiki."
- Textpattern — "A flexible, elegant and easy-to-use content management system. Textpattern is both free and open source."
- MoinMoin Wiki Engine — "MoinMoin is an advanced, easy to use and extensible WikiEngine with a large community of users. Said in a few words, it is about collaboration on easily editable web pages. MoinMoin is Free Software licensed under the GPL."
- HuHu — "Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free."
- The Usable Mac — A collection of applications to make a Mac "usable".
- An A-Z Index of the Apple OS X command line
- Mac OS X Hacking Tools
- KisMAC — "KisMAC is an opensource and free stumbler/scanner application for Mac OS X. It has an advantage over MacStumbler/iStumbler/NetStumbler in that it uses monitor mode and passive scanning."
- Windows Resource Kit Tools — "[A]re a set of tools to help administrators streamline management tasks such as troubleshooting operating system issues, managing Active Directory, configuring networking and security features, and automating application deployment."
- Windows Support Tools — Are a set of tools "intended for use by Microsoft support personnel and experienced users to assist in diagnosing and resolving computer problems."
- Petri.co.il — "Petri.co.il is a comprehensive IT knowledgebase covering a wide range of topics." For instance,
- Cfengine — Cfengine, or the "configuration engine is an autonomous agent and a middle to high level policy language and agent for building expert systems to administrate and configure large computer networks."
CD Burning Software
- Infra Recorder — "InfraRecorder is a free CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows. It offers a wide range of powerful features; all through an easy to use application interface and Windows Explorer integration. InfraRecorder is released under GPL version 2."
- ImgBurn — "ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!"
- CDBurnerXP — "CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs, as well as a multilanguage interface. Everyone, even companies, can use it for free. It does not include adware or similar malicious components."
- Matthew Chapman's WebHome — Author of rdesktop and a lesser known, but still useful, tool vmdk-loop.
- Kickstarter — A "funding platform for creative projects."