From Ben's Writing
"He [sic] who is most creative conceals his sources the best."
- “The level of hell Dante forgot.” [In reference to the University of Chicago]
- "If something novel is ever attributed to me, it is not because I was the first to discover it, rather it is because I am the last person to discover it.
- "I do not reach above my lot for any purpose."
- "At any one time, somewhere in the world, there is a cat thinking about how much it despises you."
- "Dinner— think of it as lunch, in another time-zone."
- "When I was a little kid, I prayed for a bicycle. When I got older, I understood that God worked in a different way. So I stole a bicycle and prayed He would forgive me."
- "I like living in a country that doesn't declare war on abstract nouns (eg "terror")."
- "The difference between theory and practice, is that practice is smaller in theory than in practice."
- "Ignorance isn't stupidity, but choosing to remain ignorant is."
- "Today is the tomorrow that you were so worried about yesterday."
- "... can be used for wholesale translations (e.g., from English to American) very fast." [Talking about a Multi-Pattern Search Algorithm]
- "Cadbury Mini Eggs are like Platonic (perfect, ideal) M&Ms. (Therefore, God exists.)"
- "The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity."
- "Saying I'm not book smart, but I'm street smart, is more like saying: I'm not real smart, I'm just imaginary smart."
- "Health is a crown worn by the well and only seen by the unwell."
- "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
- "I have lost more condoms to washing machines than I have to women."
- "Morality is indistinguishable from social proscription."
- "A preoccupation with the next world pretty clearly signals an inability to cope credibly with this one."
- "If you don't know where you are going, it don't matter what road you take."
- "What is beauty? Is it a measurable fact (Gottfried Leibniz), or merely an opinion (David Hume), or is it a little of each, colored by the immediate state of mind of the observer (Immanuel Kant)?"
- "Real Eyes; Realize; Real Lies."
- "Exclusive dedication to necessitious chores without interludes of hedonistic diversion renders Ben a hebetudinous fellow."
- "It's a nice day—if you like that sort of thing."
- "Debugging is anticipated with distaste, performed with reluctance, and bragged about forever."
- "The magnitude of this hack compares favorably with that of the national debt."
- "This email has been spell checked by Outlook, unintended words can be generated because of this."
- "A program is a sequence of processing errors," or my minor alteration, "A program is a sequence of operating errors"
- "[M]ost higher-level code is portable; its bugs can live forever."
- "You won't like me when I'm angry. Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources." [Attributed to The Credible Hulk]